Among all the different dairy ingredients used to make ice cream, milk substitutes are a smart choice. These substitutes boast a number of practical and financial advantages when compared with milk powder. This video explains the benefits and different ways of using milk substitutes to make ice cream.
Watch the video (english subtitles)
DAIRY MIXES IN ICE CREAM: ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS OF MILK SUBSTITUTES
Because of how easily they are incorporated and the stability and high resistance to heat processing they lend to finished products over the long term, using milk substitutes in ice cream means:
- Reducing viscosity in the ice cream mix compared to formulas that use milk powder, resulting in improved heat transfer and pumpability
- Improving expansion rates when the dairy mix is processed into ice cream
- Cutting formulation costs as these substitutes are a less expensive alternative to milk powder
- Retaining taste and flavour. Milk substitutes are made from animal or vegetable fats. Fats are chosen to be as neutral as possible in terms of taste, to ensure the ice cream's full flavour is preserved
- Furthermore, during the ice cream manufacturing stage, the mix remains homogeneous and does not coagulate
WHAT DOES A FINISHED ICE CREAM PRODUCT MADE USING A MILK SUBSTITUTE LOOK LIKE?
When assessing product quality, ice cream manufacturers evaluate taste, flavour and texture.
When milk substitutes are used, the ice cream's texture remains smooth and homogeneous, with no ice crystals. The ice cream is also creamy, with the dairy taste that makes it pleasant to eat. Contrary to misconceptions surrounding milk substitutes, no vegetable fat flavours can be identified in tasting.
These qualities mean milk substitutes are an excellent choice for making ice cream on an industrial level.
READ OUR EBOOK ON THE MANY DIFFERENT USES OF MILK SUBSTITUTES
Genuinely practical and economical alternatives to milk powder, milk substitutes may be used to make ice cream, bakery goods, sauces, and more.
To find out more, download our special report on milk substitutes:
Armor Protéines applies its expertise and know-how into bring you clean label solutions tailored to your industrial needs.